Monday, April 9, 2012

Joe Here

Alright runners, I've got some exciting news. I guess it is kind of cruel to be doing this right after Amanda's post but the timing seems great. Some of you may know, about 1.5 months ago I hurt my knee while running at work. I was SUPER disappointed because I knew it would hurt my preparing for the marathon! Kristen and I were both bummed because she was missing out on a running partner and I wouldn't get to be able to train at least for a while. Luckly, my doctor's visits were being covered by workman's comp because it had happened at work. I was having so much pain that I couldn't run for more than a mile without the pain getting to bad that I would end up walking for a bit and give up.
Then, about a week ago, the company decided it would be a good idea if I did just two weeks of physical therapy. I started about a week ago. Three days before I went into therapy I tried once again to run with the same results. The physical therapist, Amy, was confident that she knew the problem and was excited to work with someone who was at least somewhat athletic. She had me run, with the pain, then try some stretches, and try running again. The second time, I had NO PAIN! I have an IT band problem (aka snapping hip syndrome, iliopsoas tendinitis, or dancer's hip). After rolling on this foam thing and stretching out my hip, I have had no pain. I went that monday and ran FOUR MILES. I hadn't run four miles in weeks! I was not only able to do the 4, 6, 4 mile runs this week, but Kristen and I did run walk for FOURTEEN MILES! That feels ridiculous. Insane that we ran over half a marathon yesterday. We ran and we moved into a new apartment. What an exciting week. Alright, just wanted to update. Keep up the great work everyone and can't wait to be with you all on Marathon day! It's going to be Crazy Awesome!

Joe...the half marathon runner, soon to be marathon runner!

2 comments:

  1. JOE!!! That is GREAT news!!! So happy for you. Steve and I just bought a overpriced thing called Trigger Point to do exactly what your phys therapist had you do for your knee and hip. You've inspired me to keep at it, and I will encourage steve and others since that HIP thing is a Cabalka issue. We ran 12 last week, 14 this Saturday (somewhere we lost a week...oops). Anyway, we're trying! Glad to have you back IN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Joe! So glad to hear it! Hope it stays strong. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete