Thursday, April 5, 2012

I am soooooo jealous!!!

This is amanda... Well, I am out of the training. I am so bummed! I am all signed up for the big day, but last November I tore up my hamstring, and it took until last month to heal. Torture. So I am now WAY behind in miles. And I will for sure hurt myself again if I try and power them out...
I have been working with a running coach the last year. It has been amazing. He has taught me so much about the sport. About building a strong base, speed, heart rate, VO2 levels, energy replacements, shoes, stretching, the list goes on and on... But mostly he has taught me about knowing my body. When to push it, when to scale back and when to just take a day off. Knowing the aches and pains, if they are good aches when my muscles and tendons and joints are reforming and getting stronger, or bad aches when I am having a problem and need to deal with it before I hurt myself. (I unfortunately ignore the bad aches far to often).
I love reading all your posts and hearing all your different training methods. There is no wrong way to get through this incredible accomplishment. Every one of you seems to have found a grasp of what is working for you. Stick with it! Whatever works to get you through it is exactly what you need to be doing! There are so many different methods and theories and gu's and chomps and drinks out there. Don't over think ALL that stuff. Imagine what they did 30+ years ago when none of that stuff Existed! Water isn't such a bad drink either ;)
I do have a few suggestions for stretching and pains. Foam roller!!!!! It has saved my legs so many times. I use the trigger point one. It's harder so I can really get into my muscles deep. I have found that a lot of times when things hurt. The area of pain is 9 times out of 10 not actually the area that is injured. For example, I struggle with tight IT bands, when those start to get tight, they don't usually hurt, however I feel pain in my knees and hips. It's a tricky thing our bodies. But everything is connected!!
Also, I have this stretching DVD that is amazing! Gwen Lawrence yoga for runners. It has saved my hips and legs, I can't tell you how much! Girls especially struggle with hip pain because our hips are wider. But I think everyone can benefit from this video...

So, keep going! Know what is working for you, and read your body!

I actually hope to still join you all on June 3rd. I am gonna meet up with kiki her last 7miles to help and encourage her on the home stretch (a suggestion from my coach) so if you stay with her, you will have me with bells on cheering you on the last leg!!!

I am so proud of all of you!!! I can't tell you how jealous I am! KEEP RUNNING!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your words of encouragement Amanda. I am sorry you won't be running, but what a GREAT team attitude you have. I hope you will be there. Steve and I just bought Trigger Point (commented on it in Joe's post)...so thanks for affirming that purchase that seemed way overpriced to us! I will use it! And, I will check out that video. Bless you sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete